Saturday, February 20, 2010

Night at the TOOL studio

Monday, January 20, 2007

My Friday night at a Tool Studio

I went to a studio Friday night to help a friend get the internet up and running. Computer geek is one of my skill sets, anyway. This studio is where the band TOOL recorded their EP. “Opiate” The studio itself is full of crap and is dark, weird, and creepy. I can’t say where it is but it’s in a not so great part of LA. You walk in and you see a drum kit very high ceilings and all same art that you see on the TOOL CD’s

What happened, I could not get a signal to one of the routers I was working on so I backtracked the wires to find the main router this process lead me to a phone and I followed those wires. My tech skills were no match for the typical music studio rehearsal space of clutter and just fucking mess. After trying everything and resetting the router and tons of stuff I was unable to get the internet working. I could not find the proper starting point for a real tech job. However I did find hanging on the wall a nice pump action shotgun.

Being the curious person I am I picked up the shotgun to see if was even real. I mean who would keep a REAL shotgun just hanging around, literally. A shotgun on a nail near a couch who does that, ha ha ha. So just as I have it in my hand and looking at it a guy behind me, who I can't see is coming up to tell me something IMPORTANT. That “the gun is loaded and ready to go”. At the same time like a cartoon or a scene from Goonies this thin string/rope starts sliding up the wall and over the ceiling. The String is attached to a heavy metal cast iron chandelier with red unlit candles in it. Which comes sliding down full force and misses the guy's head that was coming up behind me by inches. Needless to say the event which happened in under a minute freaked me out. I had all these bad images of what if's about the gun plus almost crushing the guy behind me. My friend was sitting at the control desk at about a 40 degree angle from where I was pointing the shotgun.

My friend told me that I looked pale ghost white more than normal. I left about 10 minutes later just yelling Fuck in my head over and over. I was in a total panic.

I will not live it down and it will be known as the TOOL shotgun story.

No comments:

Post a Comment